Web modeler's future

Hi,
I would like to know what your plans for Web Modeler are now that flowable has partnership with endorasware that provides its own.
Thank you
Mike

Hi Mike,

We plan to eventually open source the Edorasware editors (BPMN, CMMN and Form editors) to Flowable, so they will use the same foundation. But this will be quite a bit of effort and will take some time. Definitely because we want the change to be fully backwards compatible. Is there a specific reason for asking this?

Best regards,

Tijs

Hi Tij,
thank you for your reply.
First off, I was curious about how strong and authentic your commitment to opensource was after joining Edorasware.
In the past, I kept an eye on Effektif and I was very disappointed about how Tom Baeyens abbandoned the opensource project (even though it was largely predictable due to the 1m dollars funding received by Signavio).
Your answer is the best answer I could hope to receive.
Second off, we are using Activiti Modeler (ops sorry, I mean Flowable ;P) for internal use and we are planning to extend its functionalities. Obviously I would be happier if the modeler would keep evolving.
Furthermore we are in the process of evaluating the feasibility of migrating the Oryx’s extjs core library to something more uptodate and supported. If you plan to do the same please let me know so that we could join effort or, al least, share your opinion about how to do it.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

We are definitely committed to Flowable as an open source project.
The Ext-JS libraries were already removed in the current Flowable Modeler. There’s only a prototype library dependency that’s still there. In the Edorasware version of the Modeler the Oryx code has been rewritten to Typescript and there’s no dependency on the prototype library anymore.

Best regards,

Tijs

Yes, Tijs, my mistake about ext-js. I am not in charge of the modeler maintenance/development and I had wrong information.
Thanks!

Just to update our current thinking…

First, I reaffirm our complete commitment to open source! We’ll be adding a completely new CMMN engine to the Flowable project soon, so there’s no slowing down or stepping back.

Next, we’ve looked more deeply at the edorasware editors and realised the dependencies on the edorasware platform make it unrealistic to open source them. Consequently, we’ll continue to enhance the existing web modeler. We’re also thinking about other ways we can provide the edorasware editing without having to make it open source. If our developers and their families just ate air, we could give it all away :wink:

Cheers
Paul.