Utf-8 instead of utf8mb4 creating problem for vietnamese characters

Hi Flowable team,

i was going through this article : https://medium.com/@adamhooper/in-mysql-never-use-utf8-use-utf8mb4-11761243e434
I want to use vietnamese characters in process modelling. Somewhere i read i need full utf-8 for all vietnamese characters but as mentioned in above article we need to use utf8mb4 for that and i can see flowable tables use utf8. is their anyway i can change all flowable tables to utf8mb4 when they are created instead of going to database later and change it through some script or query?

Thank you,
Arpit Agrawal

Hi Arpit,

I think the easiest way would be to run the database scripts manually instead of letting Flowable handle this automatically. Then you can just replace the utf8 value with the utf8mb4 value in the database script files and run it directly on the database.

Best regards,

Tijs

hi tijs,

Thanks for the reply. We are currently doing that only. Is their any specific reason for using utf8 instead of utf8mb4 because as i read in the above mentioned article utf8 of mysql is not standard utf8 encoding. So, if flowable intend to use utf8 then why not use full utf8 ie utf8mb4 instead of custom mysql utf8 encoding?

Thank You,
Arpit

Hi Arpit,

Good question. I think we started with utf8 a lot of years back and didn’t change it since then. I think we should analyze what is the best default and if this is utf8mb4 then we should switch our scripts to this.

Best regards,

Tijs

1 Like

Hi tijs,

Sure. Let me know if i can help with something. would love to contribute.

Thank You,
Arpit Agrawal