How to re-activate a process instance which is completed

Hello,

I have a quick question for a very specific case, I would like to reactivate a process instance which has been completed.

I know it seems strange to do, but I’m having an external system which is accessing the variables of the process and the external system filter on active process (i can’t make change on the external system). So I would like to change the status of the process itself just for the time of the external system to fetch the variable on the process and then put it back on complete again. Is this something possible through rest call ? If not is it easily possible through database operation ?

Many thanks
Nicolas

I don’t know of any easy way to resurrect a process instance once it is complete. This would not be a simple processes for a couple of reasons:

• First, process instance data is deleted from the runtime tables as soon as the process is complete and the appropriate data is written to history, this is to keep the runtime tables small and performant.
  • Second, the history tables include a subset of the runtime data based on your history configuration.

I think the best you’ll be able to do is create a new process instance with the same variable values and set the process state appropriately.

Thanks for the answer.

You might be able to change your model to include a task at the very end. Instead of ending the process the task would remain active and could transition back to beginning if needed or end the process after a period of time.