Camunda BPMN diagram losing data on import

I wanted to see the interoperability of Camunda Modeler and Flowable Modeler.
I created a process in Camunda and set an email id for Assignee.
After importing in Flowable Modeler, I dont see the Assignee.

Can someone confirm if both Camunda and Flowable actually use the interoperable BPMN specs?
I had created a defect in github on some sets of bpmn diagram failing in import.

Does that mean only flowable exported processes can be imported back?

What happens when you model a process in Flowable and then import it into Camunda?

Same problem. Assignee or candidate users applied on Flowable Modeller are lost when Flowable’s exported xml is opened in Camunda.
Is this following BPMN specs in the right spirit? Or am I missing something altogether.

Yes the BPMN spec is followed. However, the BPMN spec does not have the concept for assignee, candidate users etc. The BPMN spec also allows for products to provide custom extension elements. The assignee, candidate users are one of those custom extension elements. When you export the XML from the Flowable Modeler you will see those elements under the flowable namespace. When you export them from the Camunda modeler I presume that they are under the camunda namespace (which Flowable does not understand). The opposite will also be valid, when you import a process from Flowable Modeler into Camunda it will lose the custom Flowable data.

Hope this makes it clear why you seeing this.

Cheers,
Filip

Thanks Filip. I m going through the BPMN spec in detail to see if there are implementation differences even for say Script tasks, boundary events, etc.
In my product under development, we are planning to only use the runtime, but wanted to give my customers the ability to model. The short term is to include modeler app. But it needs the IDM app too.

This setup is becoming little heavy and complicated to manage at this moment.

In what way? Are you containerising your deployment artefacts?

The flowable/all-in-one Dockerfile:

FROM flowable/java8_server:8.181
ADD wait-for-something.sh .

RUN addgroup tomcat && adduser -s /bin/false -G tomcat -h /opt/tomcat -D tomcat

RUN wget http://apache.mirror.serversaustralia.com.au/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.37/bin/apache-tomcat-8.5.37.tar.gz -O /tmp/tomcat.tar.gz
RUN cd /tmp && tar xvfz tomcat.tar.gz && cp -Rv /tmp/apache-tomcat-8.5.37/* /opt/tomcat/ && rm -Rf /tmp/apache-tomcat-8.5.37

COPY assets/flowable-idm.war.original /opt/tomcat/webapps/flowable-idm.war
COPY assets/flowable-modeler.war.original /opt/tomcat/webapps/flowable-modeler.war
COPY assets/flowable-task.war.original /opt/tomcat/webapps/flowable-task.war
COPY assets/flowable-admin.war.original /opt/tomcat/webapps/flowable-admin.war

RUN cd /opt/tomcat && chgrp -R tomcat /opt/tomcat && chmod -R g+r conf && chmod g+x conf && chown -R tomcat webapps/ work/ temp/ logs/ \
    && chown tomcat /wait-for-something.sh && chmod +x /wait-for-something.sh

ENV CATALINA_HOME /opt/tomcat
ENV PATH $PATH:$CATALINA_HOME/bin
ENV JAVA_OPTS="-Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/./urandom"

EXPOSE 8080

WORKDIR /opt/tomcat

USER tomcat

CMD ["/opt/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh", "run"]

How can i migrate my Camunda model to Flowable model, Is there any tool for the same.
We plan to migrate a Project from Camunda to Flowable. Do we have any reference links for the same
Please suggest.

Regards
Manish

That would depend on your BPMN xml. Most (if not all) should be importable as it’s all BPMN 2.0 XML (but there are vendor extensions of course). If you can share some samples, we can say more.