Building and running modeler/ui from source

Hello,

I downloaded flowable from https://github.com/flowable/flowable-engine (6.3.1 SNAPSHOT).

I want to try an example of a DMN Decision Table.

I did not see any docs that say how to build or start the tool once it is built.

So, I tried mvn clean install and this succeeds with all tests passing.

I tried running the start-modeler.sh from the scripts directory but this does not start the modeler.

I do see an exception:
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name ‘sqlSessionFactory’ defined in class path resource [org/flowable/ui/modeler/conf/DatabaseConfiguration.class]: Bean instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [org.apache.ibatis.session.SqlSessionFactory]: Factory method ‘sqlSessionFactory’ threw exception; nested exception is org.flowable.common.engine.api.FlowableException: couldn’t deduct database type

What is the next step to start the tool?

Regards,
Bruce

1 Like

Is there a reason you want to try the current master version? If not, you can download the latest stable version (6.3.0) which contains the war files that you can drop in Tomcat for example that work out of the box.

With regards to your question: the start-modeler script assumes a mysql database to connect to (see connection details here: https://github.com/flowable/flowable-engine/blob/master/modules/flowable-ui-modeler/flowable-ui-modeler-app/pom.xml#L340)

Hi Joram,

Thanks for your reply. No reason particularly. I just thought I would use the latest. Should I be able to build from the source and if so, are there a set of commands that walk me through that or some sort of document on that?

You mention getting things up and running with 6.3.0 and the need for Tomcat and the mysql database to connect to. Is there a document that walks someone through the exact steps to get started with flowable including the steps you mentioned as well as starting the modeler specifically for DMN work? I looked but I could not find such a document.

Regards,
Bruce