Upgrading Flowable Engine 7 to Spring 3.2

My organization would like to use Flowable Engine but we need bump Spring Boot → 3.2, Spring Framework → 6.1.2, Spring Security → 6.2, Spring Framework 6.13.

I am now getting errors running unit tests in the flowable-rest module:

Tests run: 90, Failures: 0, Errors: 90, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 1.109 s <<< FAILURE! – in org.flowable.rest.service.api.history.HistoricTaskInstanceResourceTest
org.flowable.rest.service.api.history.HistoricTaskInstanceResourceTest.testGetProcessTask – Time elapsed: 0.755 s <<< ERROR!
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name ‘processEngine’ defined in class path resource [org/flowable/rest/conf/jpa/JPAFlowableEngineConfiguration.class]: Unexpected exception during bean creation
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:534)

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid value type for attribute ‘factoryBeanObjectType’: java.lang.String

Anyone else trying to bump Flowable Engine to Spring Boot 3.2?

The flowable-engine/modules/flowable-rest’s JpaRestTest’s four tests depend on the MessageRepository interface, an extension of JpaRepository<Message, Long>. Message being an Entity having an id and text. All four tests do this first:

Message message = messageRepository.findById(1L).orElse(null);
    assertThat(message).isNotNull();
    assertThat(message.getText()).isEqualTo("Hello World");

Why is this done? MessageRepository and Message are defined in the test source. This code simply tests that the test database configuration is correct, that the org.flowable.rest.jpa.data.sql contains:

insert into message (id, text) values (1, 'Hello World');

The found message is used later in the test but does not have to be constructed using the MessageRepository.

I removed the interface and test database configuration.