Lifecycle of a Process Instance between spring app restarts

Hello:
I am a flowable newbie and have a question. I am creating bpmn process models, storing the xml in the resources folder of my spring boot app. I then use rest endpoints to start process instances. My process includes triggerable events as well as boundary event message listeners. I am able to start a process instance and then trigger each of the async/message related tasks (via rest endpoints). If I restart my spring app in the middle of the execution of a process instance, I no longer can access those executions that were pending. What is the expected behavior in this case? Do I need to “reload” pending executions when the app restarts?

Thanks!
Raj

Hi Raj,

What kind of database do you use? Isn’t it h2 with in memory configuration? If yes, configure it to store data on the disk.

Regards
Martin

Hi Martin, thank you for your prompt reply. I am using MySQL and on further testing, I notice that I get occasional 500s stating that the execution cannot be found. Let me investigate further. I am able to see the persisted executions in the ACT_RU_EXECUTION table and I’m able to trigger/resume activities after server restarts.

Thanks!
Raj