Issue with rescheduling a timer job

Hi,
Firstly I would like to thank you for the great framework.
I would like to share an issue I have when I try to reschedule a timer job. I have a controller from which I invoke ms.rescheduleTimeCycleJob(jobId, “0 0/5 * * * ?”);
As a result a new job is created but its process definition is null, thus when it tries to start it fails with a NPE. I noticed that the process definition is set in org.flowable.engine.impl.util.TimerUtil.createTimerEntityForTimerEventDefinition(TimerEventDefinition, FlowElement, boolean, ExecutionEntity, String, String)
and is acquired from an executionEntity, instead of the existing job. In my case the executionEntity is null.
Do you think it is a bug or I am missing something?

Thank you,
Milen

Hey @milenm,

Are you by any chance trying to reschedule a timer job for a timer start event?

I would advice changing the process definition itself and deploying a new version for this to be done.

If that is not the case can you provide some more input in how this timer job was created?

Cheers,
Filip

Hi Filip,
Yes I am trying to reschedule a timer start event. I was hoping that I can re-schedule it “at runtime” without the need to re-deploy a new definition. My ultimate goal is to provide the capability for a client to change the start time, even though the process is deployed with a default one.

Thank you and happy new year.