How to use execution

I have a question about the execution work ways.After learning about flowable,i think execution is unnessary.Can someone help me make this question clear?thx

Hi.

Could you try to rephrase your question? It’s not clear to me what your asking.

Regards,

Yvo

hi,Yvo:
I don’t konw exection can be used in which situation .The data stored in the table act_ru_execution seems no use.I deployed a process and tracted it,found the each step required can be obtained in other tables.So where i can use execution,:confounded:? Do you know what i mean
Sorry,My english is very poor。thank you for your patience。

In the userguide this can be found about the runtime tables;

RU stands for runtime. These are the runtime tables that contain the runtime data of process instances, user tasks, variables, jobs, and so on. Flowable only stores the runtime data during process instance execution and removes the records when a process instance ends. This keeps the runtime tables small and fast.

Is this the info you’re looking for?

Also; using the (Java / REST ) API instead of the database tables directly is prefered in most situations.

Are you trying to learn the inner workings of Flowable? Or are you trying to implement a specific use case?

Regards,

Yvo

I tracted the process,found most steps have a same execution。The only change is the version number。Now i want store data from each step in my specific way and make it unique.What should i do for this by using execution?
Whether the plan is feasible?

Hi,

The executions are used to store the state of a process instance. If you have a complex process definition with lots of sub processes, parallel gateways and multi instance tasks you’ll see that there will be many executions created. If you have a simple process definition with a sequence of user tasks only 2 executions will be created. But you should not have to worry about executions, that’s handled by the Flowable Engine.

If you want to add data, the best way is to store process variables (runtimeService.setVariable(processInstanceId, “myVarName”, "myVarValue);

Best regards,

Tijs

2 Likes

That’s great,mybe i should learn more about flowable .Thank you!