Form Engine looking up form data

Hi,

I am using the java api’s and I just switched from using form properties to the new form engine. While I can lookup a form instance by taskId I don’t seem to find any data structures for representing the data that was input by the user. So far I have figured out that the formValuesId in a form instance points to a record in the act_fo_form_resource table with json data like {“values”:{“uploadId”:“2cb3b196-658c-11e7-8422-024264d65c63”,“label”:“cheese”}}. But how to in terms of getting an object that represents the form data captured?

I am also not clear on the difference between the getFormValuesId and getFormValueBytes?

Ok I see my problem was I assumed all the methods that take variables were required:

getFormInstanceModelById can be called with only the form instance id and the variables left null.

This can be seen in action in FormInstanceTest.java: https://github.com/flowable/flowable-engine/blob/f75b644e329ab5156043e0527668ff80cea1532e/modules/flowable-form-engine/src/test/java/org/flowable/form/engine/test/FormInstanceTest.java

I assumed the variables passed in does some kind of merge replacing the original data