Flowable Engine slow start in integration tests

I am writing integration tests (SpringBoot) to test a simple workflow defined in the BPMN xml file.

What I observed is that the flowable engine takes over 30 seconds to start when the test case was executed. It might be caused by creating many tables in the db (h2 in-mem db) and starting multiple engine threads which are not used by the integration tests. My question is: Is there a way to tweak the flowable engine so as to make it start within around 10 seconds? (In the meantime, the test case can still be executed).

Please advise, thanks!

1 Like

Hey @damonx,

Most of our tests are also integration tests and a single test can run in under 10 seconds (which means that the engine surely does not need more than 30 seconds).

What I would suggest is to disable the async executor during your testing, reuse the Spring context between your tests, and perhaps disable auto deployment for the integration tests.

Apart for things about Flowable, I would investigate why your application starts slow, there are other things that might be slowing down your startup.

Chers,
Filip

Really helpful, I’ll go it a go. Thanks for the advice again!