Auto-populate "Called element" field in a "Call Activity" in Flowable Modeler Web UI

Hello,

In the Flowable Web Modeler UI (6.0.1), I’d like to auto-populate the “Called element” field with a list of available Business Process definitions that exist already. Basically, at “design time” when modelling the Business Process, when a user selects the “Call Activity” element, the “Called element” field should be auto-populated with names of existing Business Processes.

To achieve the above, would it need custom coding ? If so, what needs to be done & which parts of the Flowable code do I need to look at changing? Or, can be it done simply using configuration ? If so, how ? Could you please point me to the right approach for achieving that ? Many Thanks.

(I’m evaluating Flowable as the Workflow solution for use with one of our products).

Best Regards,
Mohsin

Hi Mohsin,

That would be nice feature for the Flowable Modeler for more users I think. There’s already a REST call to get all available process models (like you see in the model repository view). So it basically needs the called element field to be changed from a simple text field into a dropdown populated with the process models retrieved by the REST call. You could also have a look at the collapsed sub process implementation.

Best regards,

Tijs

Hi Tijs,

Thank You for your quick reponse.

“…So it basically needs the called element field to be changed from a
simple text field into a dropdown populated with the process models
retrieved by the REST call…”

The above (as you stated) is exactly what I need :slight_smile: Where do I start (i.e. which modules / source code files would I need to modify) ? Sorry if this is too broad a question. Any tips / guidelines on implementing the above would be great. Thanks again !

Best Regards,
Mohsin

Hi Tijs,

I’m pretty new to Flowable so I really don’t know what kind of effort is involved. Just wanted to get your thoughts on whether it would be time consuming to do this if I were to modify the flowable code to implement this functionality (given I & my team are pretty new to Flowable).

Also, regarding your suggestion to look at the collapsed sub process implementation, is there a doc / article that provides some guidance on the Flowable module design / source code structure for someone who needs to modify the Flowable code (similar to what I’m trying to achieve) ? Just want to know where to start in terms of understanding the code for modifying it…

Appreciate your advice on the above so I can take a call on this. Thanks again for your help !

Best Regards,
Mohsin