Users, Groups, Roles - Task Assignment and Querying

Hi,

In flowable, can one assign a task to a particular group or a specific user? Does flowable (or BPMN) have the notion of groups and specific users? If so, how can I assign a task to a specific group of people or a person in particular? And how are groups and users specified in a process or set of processes?

Inversely, how can I then query for tasks pending for (1) a specific group or (2) a particular individual/person?

Thanks for your help.

• Adrian.
1 Like

Hi Adrian,

If you look at the simple tutorial here, you can see using users and groups through the UI.

There’s REST APIs for accessing tasks in the documentation.

Is that what you’re looking for?

Cheers
Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your prompt answer.
What I’m looking for is how do you assign tasks to particular groups and users using the Java (not REST) API, how to create groups and users in processes and how - from the Java API - I can query for pending tasks for specific groups and particular users.

Thanks again.

• Adrian.

Hi Adrian,

For querying, is it this?

I think if you’re trying to set an assignment dynamically at runtime, rather than at design time, then you’ll need to use a variable or expression as the assignee at design time. Others may have brighter suggestions.

Most of the time you know at design time what groups should be used as assignees, so it may just be where you want to select an individual assignee that you’ll want to use a variable.

Cheers
Paul.

1 Like

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for your prompt response.

I think for querying, what you pointed me to is probably it (I will test).
As for the dynamic assignment of tasks to specific users or particular groups at runtime (because I cannot know in my case to whom I shall assign a task at design time), what do you mean by using a variable for this? Is there a Java API call to do this? If so, can you please give me an example?

Thanks.

• Adrian.

Hi Adrian,

If you look at the Tutorial, you’ll see how you can do it one way. It sets the process variable at the start of the process. Alternatively, if you have a user task form that a user picks the assignee earlier in the process, then that will be automatically assigned to a process variable associated with that form control. Or if the assignee is found through some other processing, then you can use a service task and set a variable using the setVariables method.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your answer; I will look into it.