Setting up Flowable Engine in Eclipse

These are the steps I am following to setup Flowable Engine on Eclipse. Posting here to share and discuss possible improvements to the workflow. I am using Windows.

1. Install Git Tools, Maven, Eclipse, and Tomcat
  2. Clone flowable-engine project from github
  3. Navigate to flowable-engine folder in the command line
  4. Run the maven command “mvn -Pdistro clean install -DskipTests”
  5. Under the modules folder, in the command line navigate to flowable-ui-idm, flowable-ui-modeler, flowable-ui-tasks, flowable-ui-admin and run the “mvn clean install” command
  6. Open Eclipse and select “File” option, then “Open Projects from File System” option. At the dialog select the flowable-engine root folder. When Eclipse is done inspecting the folder click “Finish”
  7. Let Eclipse do its thing, grab some coffee
  8. When Eclipse is done importing the projects, right click on the flowable-ui-* projects, select “Maven” from the context menu, then “Update Project” option, and click “Ok”. This will refresh the dependencies
  9. Add the Tomcat server to Eclipse
  10. When Tomcat is setup, right click on Tomcat server, select “Add and Remove” option from the context menu. In the dialog select the project you want to run. At this point you should be able to run and debug the projects.
3 Likes

I got this error

INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Reactor Summary:
[INFO]
[INFO] Flowable Admin UI … SUCCESS [ 0.757 s]
[INFO] flowable-ui-admin-logic … FAILURE [ 0.855 s]
[INFO] flowable-ui-admin-rest … SKIPPED
[INFO] flowable-ui-admin-conf … SKIPPED
[INFO] Flowable UI Admin … SKIPPED
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] Total time: 2.814 s
[INFO] Finished at: 2018-01-31T11:45:57+05:00
[INFO] Final Memory: 14M/155M
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project flowable-ui-admin-logic: Could not resolve dependencies for project org.flowable:flowable-ui-admin-logic:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT: The following artifacts could not be resolved: org.flowable:flowable-ui-common:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-bpmn-model:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-bpmn-converter:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-bpmn-layout:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-process-validation:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-image-generator:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-json-converter:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-cmmn-model:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-cmmn-converter:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-cmmn-json-converter:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-cmmn-image-generator:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-dmn-xml-converter:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-dmn-json-converter:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-form-model:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT, org.flowable:flowable-form-json-converter:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT: Failure to find org.flowable:flowable-ui-common:jar:6.3.0-SNAPSHOT in https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of sonatype-nexus-snapshots has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]

When i run flowable-ui-admin-app it throws HTTP Status 404 – Not Found which is configure in web.xml .Any suggestions

Issue Resolved thanks

Hi! How did you fix it? Thank you

@musaid how did you resolve the problem?

This link is a good add-on to the steps, wrt WAR file and Docker builds https://robferguson.org/blog/2019/01/05/how-to-build-flowable/

Hai jai i am trying to setup flowable engine on eclipse by what u said above points.
but i am unable to setup and run few errors are comeing .
if you dont mind can you help .
thank you jai

I followed what is written in the original post and I also get some errors.
But even with the errors I can start tomcat and debug the execution in Eclipse, set breakpoint, update code…

Just try to start tomcat?

JC