Handling Errors

I have implemented SparkDelegate which extends JavaDelegate and TriggerableActivityBehavior. The delegate submits a spark/Hadoop job to a distributed job scheduler as part of the delegates execute-function, the job-scheduler schedules the job and returns an job-id immediately. The job might take hours to run and when finished it gives a callback which in turn becomes the trigger for our SparkDelegate.

We have also written listners to do auditing of variables/process and job instrumentation metrics.

The sequence of function calls can be visualised as below.

What is the right way to handle errors in Flowable?

1. The execute-function(2) which calls the job-scheduler can fail due to timeouts, capacity overload etc.
  • What is the way in which we can tell flowable to mark the task as failed one?
  • Should we raise an exception?
  • Is there any exception apart from throwing BPMNError and having a boundary event?
  • Raising the BPMNError and catching it with boundary event is hard as it requires all the BPMN authors to write a boundary event in all BPMN definitions. Is there an easy way to do this?
  1. Event listener failures[3, 6], what happens when something fails in the event listeners?
  • I have set isFailOnException to true in FlowableEventListener, but does this fail the task or the entire process?
  • What if I want to fail the job for the event listener has failed?
  • Is there any function in RuntimeService to mark an activity as failed using activityId and ProcessInstanceId?
  • BPMNError and Boundary method is the way handle errors here? Reference test case This will lead to too many Boundary events in the flowable bpmn definition.
  1. In trigger function we get the callback from job-scheduler, here there job could have either completed with success/failure, if the job is successful then I can call the triggerAsync of RuntimeServce to mark completion.
  • What is the function that we have to use if in case the job has failed and callback is for failure?
  • By default, if you throw an uncaught exception, this will roll back the job and it will be retried later. After x retries (by default: 3), the job will be moved to the dead letter job queue. You can query and move jobs back from there.
  • If you want boundary events, you will indeed need to throw a BpmnError
  • If you don’t want that, why not provide a base service task implementation that catches all known exceptions and handles them. That way bpmn authors need to only use that particular subclass.
  • The failOnException will catch any exception in the listener logic and rethrow it if true, which will roll back the transaction. When set to false, it will log the exception, but not rollback the transaction.
  • This applies to your job too when using an event listener as part of the job logic
  • No, there isn’t a way to mark something as failed. What would be the consequence of doing so?
  • No, see above with a base service task delegate

That is up to your implementation. Typically, you would model the failure path to do something different from the success path.