Showcase: Flowable in Health Research

Flowable features prominently on this poster that was presented (A0 size :smiley: ) at a recent NIH conference on technological innovations in mHealth.

mHealth is the collective name for applications of mobile technology in public health. In this study we used Flowable to track childhood vaccinations in rural Tanzania, testing the effectiveness of SMS messages to remind young mothers of upcoming vaccinations.

The research team liked the system :blush:, so I’ll go on to build another to track participants in a long-running study on HIV testing preferences (and ways to increase testing rates).

I note that health (research) applications are an interesting market for Flowable. They’re all about tracking patients or study participants in long-running processes, and - for the obvious reason that people’s health is at stake - they’re heavy on predictability, resilience and traceability. All things that Flowable is good at. Audit requirements in health research easily exceed those at banks, so an Excel sheet to track your cases isn’t going to cut it any more.

If this weren’t a side gig (my job is hacking code to analyse DNA) I’d go all for it. If you’re interested, get in touch.

Finally, a request for advice: I feel that my use case is case management more than process management. With CMMN now added to Flowable, and given that I’m conversant in BPMN but haven’t got a clue about CMMN, does it make sense to switch?

3 Likes

Fantastic - many thanks for letting us know about it!

Cheers
Paul.

@zwets : Many thanks for sharing this, really appreciated. It makes us proud Flowable is used for life-saving projects like this!

If your use case is ‘data-driven’ (meaning things change when new data gets available) and doesn’t follow predictable paths, it might be. CMMN concepts are quite similar to BPMN, so you shouldn’t have much troubles. And if you’re stuck, you know where to find us here :slight_smile:

1 Like